Monday, May 25, 2015

Dandelion Salve

In our quest to remain self sufficient we try learn something new everyday. In some cases it is a reminder of what we recall our parents doing or accomplishing, but it remains a lesson none the less.  With so many folks returning to a do it yourself lifestyle, there is a wealth of new information to review. This is important because often times, something tried without having a set rule about how it must be done, can lead to a new way of doing things.


We had a nice crop of dandelions in the backyard. And while we did not plant them, it seemed like a good idea to do something with them. I had noticed a salve recipe I thought would be fun to try, and for some reason we are noticing more of those aches and pains that some older folks speak about......

A few days later, before he mowed, my sweetheart gathered the flowers for me. They were a sight in the bottom of the pitcher, and actually I had to ask what they were. When he told me, I was thrilled and thankful. It is a lot of work to go around our big backyard and pick just the flower blossoms, so your wife can make a jar of salve.

They have been steeping in olive oil (about 3 weeks time) since being picked, quickly washed and then air dried for a couple of days. But which recipe? Many call for more oil than I have and might ever have, one never knows how many flowers will be harvested. As I continued to read each recipe, the ingredients are almost identical with only small variations from recipe to recipe.

At that point I decided to go with parts instead of standard measurements. Recipes given in parts are perfect for any amount of the main ingredient you have on hand, and for this recipe, the main ingredient is infused oil. Once you have decided on a recipe using parts, the only decision that remains is whether it is parts by measure or parts by weight.


Dandelion Salve
adapted from: everyone

2 parts infused oil
1 part coconut oil
1 part bees wax pellets
1 or 2 drops of orange or lavender oil - I did not use for this batch

Gently heat the infused oil, coconut oil and bees wax over very hot (but not boiling) water, a pyrex measuring cup works well to sit in the pan of water.


The wax pellets will be the last ingredient to melt.



When the wax has melted, remove from heat, let cool slightly, add scented oil if using. Pour into a storage jar, let cool completely. Label and use.


This is touted to be good for sore muscles, dry skin, etc.


Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
homemade mondays @ frugal by choice
tuesdays with a twist @ back to basics
hearth and soul @ apriljharris.com
garden tuesday @ sidewalk shoes
maple hill hop @ maple hill 101
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
DIY @ little house in the suburbs





 

14 comments:

  1. I need to make this... I make other salves... and I do use dandelion, but I have not made this one.... also, I love the pretty yellow color of your salve. :) I also like the idea of trying to learn something new every day... wow, that is a great goal!. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gentle Joy! I appreciate your thoughts and kind words.

      Delete
  2. Growing up our neighbors used to make dandelion tea and they would eat the dandelion leaves in salad too. I don't know if they also made salve or not but this is such a good idea. Thanks for sharing it at the Tuesday Garden Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly, TGP is one of my favorite places to visit.

      Delete
  3. How cool is that?! This will surely come in handy after working in the garden. So glad you stopped by The Maple Hill Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome so glad you shared this article. I don't have many dandelions on our farm but I'm pretty sure if I go for a walk I can find some. My Grandma and I use to pick dandelions together when I was a kid. She used them in salads, soup, and wine. The Salve is brilliant!

    Carole @ Garden Up Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, I am hoping to use some of the greens in a recipe. My family would forage for things like watercress when we were out camping, so this is a natural for me.

      Delete
  6. I love natural remedies like this! I had not heard of dandelion salve before. Thank you for sharing this excellent tutorial with us a the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinned :-) I hope you will join us again this week. The hop is live now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of dandelion salve, but it certainly sounds like a wonderful idea since dandelion has so many medicinal values. I shared on twitter & pinterest. Visiting from Tuesday with a Twist.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!