Saturday, May 23, 2015

From garden to table, with a vacation in the freezer.....

When you share your thoughts with others, you automatically become a philosopher. You are not necessarily declaring you know more, you are simply saying what it is you think about a certain topic, what you might want for yourself or your life, or some of the things you will actually accomplish. (It also helps if you don't say it all in a preachy know it all style of writing.....)


While I work hard to fill the freezer with all the lovely vegetables my dear husband grows, for some reason after it is in the freezer, safe behind a secure door, resting at zero degrees, the freezer is NOT the first place I gather food from, when preparing a meal.


I have been working on this lack of strategy for the last year and while I have made improvements, I still have a ways to go. There are several thoughts and practices that could help resolve the problem. There are practices in place for some cooks and gardeners, such as eat from the freezer month.


But while I tend to think that this is helpful, it does not resolve my own disconnect from the garden to the table. That disconnect is what I am determined to resolve. Here is my strategy line up:


Have an outline of side dishes for the week. Because we share in meal preparation, we don't meal plan. My husband enjoys deciding what he will make for dinner, and I enjoy that creative process after working away from home all day. Vegetable side dishes have become my favorite dish to cook.

Cook with what you have.  Adapt the carefully grown, picked and processes foods you already have into the recipes that you want to try. Let's be honest here, green beans in a green bean recipe, really can be the green beans you already have on hand......

Try new recipes and cooking methods. This sounds like a no-brainer but the truth is, if we serve those beautiful vegetables cooked the same way each time, we will grow tired of what we have on hand and possibly stop eating it.

Maybe you should not use the freezer. It came to to me the other day, that instead of freezing all the rhubarb, maybe I should can some of it. The reason? I keep cooking it the same way, and I could just as well can the rhubarb with the same result.

Organize the freezer like a book.  Post the table of contents on a dry wipe board. Store the packages together in groups (chapters). You can find what you are looking for and know what you have on hand. In this way you can also see what you need to cook with.

Serve more vegetables. Nowhere is there a rule, a law or even a commandment that declares only one vegetable is served at a meal. Just a thought.....


Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads
motivation monday @ a life in balance

 


10 comments:

  1. A Southern way to eat, especially in the summer, is the vegetable plate: three or four vegetables served with cornbread. My favorite. I do much better canning than I would with freezing (we don't have a freezer). Plus I love looking at beautiful jars of home canned food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rocauie, I am really hoping to get enough tomatoes from the garden to can some. (goodbye cans lined with plastic.....). I tried my favorite green bean salad made with fresh green beans, but used frozen from the garden (blanched slightly to refresh them) and it was just as delicious.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's the simplest ideas that take the longest to come! We used to eat vegetarian, so having a variety of vegetables on the plate is something we do a lot. Our garden has so far only yielded a little asparagus, and rhubarb. I need to do better about preserving when we get more than we can eat this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laurie, I have tried very hard to have my first planned recipe be vegetables, instead of dessert......along the way, while not perfect, there has been improvement.

      Delete
  3. I try to serve two vegetables with dinner, but am terrible about using what's in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello JoAnn, I had a feeling I was not the only one with a full freezer and a shopping cart full of fresh produce. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I have the same problem. Freezer stocked with veggies, fruits, and meats from the summer and fall -- and yet I *still* buy veggies from the grocery in the winter. I've tried keeping a table of contents but all it takes is one busy week, and the list on the freezer door is out of date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! My second sin after buying produce while having plenty in the freezer is loosing track of what was bought and it becomes compost.......

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous veggies! I usually try to do 2 vegetables with a meal, but not always. I like your idea of organizing your freezer. Good suggestions here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay, I find that the freezer can get out of hand quickly, no matter how organized I am, especially if I fail to label the packages! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!