Saturday, May 16, 2015

The trouble with rhubarb....

I have a fondness for certain foods. I don't think they are used often enough in the average American diet and because I am usually a champion of the underdog, I will try and come up with an exceptional recipe using these foods. On that list is my favorite, the rhubarb plant.

Rhubarb is gaining in popularity once again and for good reason. Once established it is hardy, and there for you, year after year, just like a good friend. Rhubarb is also easy to grow, or some would have you believe. Not me however. I have struggled for the last 5 years (or more, some of these plants came from another home of mine...) to get this rhubarb bed going. But I must confess, the green thumb in this family is my dear husband.


I prefer crimson rhubarb, because it is pretty. In the garden while growing and in any recipe once cooked. But never you mind all that, if I am offered green stick rhubarb cooked up in any recipe, I will enjoy every bite of it. Rhubarb pairs well with many other foods, making it a natural for any home gardener.

One recipe I return to time and time again is a simple poached rhubarb. The recipe is offered with a range of sugar, so that you may make this up for different serving needs. When served as a poached fruit, I use the smaller amount of sugar. Cooked this way rhubarb makes a wonderful breakfast along with a slice of toast and a spoonful of vanilla yogurt. As a dessert sauce or the actual dessert itself, I use the full amount of sugar listed. Keep in mind that rhubarb is tart, and that tartness won't be covered up with sugar.


I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. This is made a couple of times a month in our kitchen.  While I call this poached, this original source calls the method steamed, and it is, with nothing added during the initial process. This is a very easy recipe, mostly hands free (no stirring) and really delicious!

Poached Rhubarb
adapted from:  A Cake Bakes in Brooklyn
equipment needed: a double boiler or adapt by using one pan sat inside a larger pan

1 qt sliced rhubarb (about a pound or so)

1/2 - 3/4 c sugar
1/4 t soda
dash of salt
1/2 c boiling water

Fill the bottom pan 1/3 full of water, fit the top pan on top. Add the rhubarb to the top pan, cover. Bring the boiler to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and let rhubarb steam for 20-30 minutes, or until tender. Do not stir, or you will end up with rhubarb sauce....

When the rhubarb is tender, combine the sugar, soda, salt and boiling water. Stir until dissolved, gently pour over the steamed rhubarb. Cover and steam an addition 2-3 minutes. Carefully pour cooked rhubarb into a serving bowl, and let cool.

Makes approximately 1 quart of poached rhubarb.

Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as alway we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
happiness is homemade @ mommy on demand
homemade mondays @ frugal by choice
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads
hearth and soul @ apriljharris.com
home acre hop @ on the home front

4 comments:

  1. Oh this is a new method of cooking for me. I always make sauce. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I found this recipe, I have not cooked it another way. Each time I made sauce, it was delicious in taste, but "stringy" in texture. This is a nice fruit compote that doesn't just fall to strings.

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried growing Rhubarb at home. Sure I will try next time. Recipe sound delicious too thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Swathi, this really is a recipe that is enjoyed again and again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!