Thursday, June 4, 2015

Chive Blossom Vinegar

Flavored vinegar is one of the easiest ways to preserve that fresh garden taste.  The process is easy as well. Harvest a few sprigs of your favorite herb, add it to a bottle and top off with vinegar.

For the most part the type of vinegar is not important, but a clear vinegar will take on some of the color of the herb being used. White wine vinegar is perfect for this.

Tonight we made Chive Blossom Vinegar.

It is a very simple process.


Harvest the blossoms, wash, then drain well.


Add to a bottle or jar, cover with vinegar.


Place in a cool dry spot and in a few weeks, you have flavored vinegar.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy flavored vinegar is to splash some over fresh tomato slices, sprinkle well with minced parsley and a pinch of sugar. Let rest about 30 minutes, and enjoy!


Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
simple homestead hop @ our simple homestead
DIY @ little house in the suburbs
foodie friday @ rattlebridge farm
full plate thursday @ miz helens
home matters @ vicky's kitchen and garden
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
tuesdays with a twist @ back to basics

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic..never thought of doing this!! Thanks for posting...definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients to use in cooking. I hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. Bought the vinegar...found a pretty bottle..hands full of chive blossoms!! Will let you know how it turns out in a few weeks..Having a blissful gardening day with sunshine and dappled light through the linden trees..and surrounded by young plants dizzy with growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy how you describe your garden!

      Delete
  3. Oh NO!! As it was on the shelves with the cider vinegar I didn't notice that I had bought 2 little bottles of White wine for cooking!! It was only as I unscrewed the bottles and started pouring the contents into the pretty bottle now full of chive blossoms that I realised. So!! I'm thinking vinegar is a derivative of wine..let's see if I can ferment it into vinegar...I have added a slurp of cider vinegar as a starter and we'll see what happens!! Now I think of it..I don't remember seeing white vinegar for sale very much over here..odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne I think chive flavored white wine will make a wonderful addition to any chicken recipe, keep me posted!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I think that looks so pretty and I bet it tastes wonderful. Had no idea that flavored vinegar was so easy to make. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Kay, through the years I have made many different kinds. A simple vinegar like this is perfect to use just about everywhere a splash of bright flavor is wanted.

      Delete
  5. I used to do this all the time -- I had an awesome collection of herbed vinegar. Now I wonder why I got out of the habit. Thanks so much for reminding me -- just in time for summer harvests

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. Flavored vinegar is just that much better, thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. I never knew it was that easy to make flavored vinegar. Thanks for sharing I can't wait to make some of my own. Thanks for linking up on #HomeMattersParty. Hope to see you again next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tutorial! I'll be featuring this post today at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!