Sunday, June 7, 2015

Growing and harvesting chives

I have had chives growing in my yard and garden for many years now, and yet I have not harvested or used them, very much. That is where I am hoping to make a few changes.  I like chives, and in previous years I have grown garlic chives or Chinese Chives. Garlic Chives offer white blooms, and the blooms I recently harvested for Chive Blossom Vinegar were violet in color.


And then I remembered, I was given a small start of chives, and from that start, is this larger mass of chives. Apparently the garlic chives did not survive winter or the transplant when we established the herb bed, in the back yard.

That small start of chives given to me, is proof that chives are prolific and can offer several harvests during the growing season. There is no right or wrong way to preserve chives, it really rests on what works well for you and your family and presonal taste preferences.

I like have jars of minced herbs in the freezer. It is easy to add them to a recipe or scatter over a salad. Because I towel dry them before mincing, there is very little frost that gathers in the jar, and even when thawed, they are delicious. It is really very simple, take a look.


When the bottom stems begin to die back and the blossoms open up, it is time to harvest. It is easy, just take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut about an inch above the ground.


Pick out and discard any off colored stems, woody blossom stems or dried and shriveled stems.

If you have already made chive blossom vinegar, and you come across more blossoms, you can add them to the batch.


Wash the chives, by submerging the stems under water, turning the over gently and repeating. Any dirt or sand will fall to the bottom of the bowl.


Using two towels, lay the chives in an even layer,


Roll up jelly roll style, twist gently in a wringing motion, let the toweling absorb any excess water.


Take a large handful, and begin slicing thinly, filling a quart jar or other container.


It is safe to pack the jar lightly, sliced chives have some spring to them and when they freeze will not place undue strain against the glass. Cap and place in the freezer.

When you need chives, gently loosen and scatter over your food or add to a recipe. It is that simple.

Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads
motivation monday @ a life in balance
inspire me monday @ create with joy
homemade mondays @ frugal by choice
hearth and soul @ apriljharris.com
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
tuesdays with a twist @ back to basics
DIY @ little house in the suburbs



10 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have beautiful herbs in your freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth F, they are also easy to use. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I usually dry our chives for the winter. When frozen in a jar, they don't form hard lumps?
    I'm intrigued by this idea. --Rocquie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rocquie, I have not had that problem. I think it is the towel drying. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love this, I've seen it done with green onions, and dried chives, but never freezing them. I like this idea, mostly because we have chives in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki, I treat fresh parsley in the same way. It is easy to add a fresh flavor to the top of a dish before serving.

      Delete
  4. I freeze my chives too. I chop them and spread them on a small cookie sheet on waxed paper. After they are frozen, an hour or so, I fold the waxed paper and pour them into a mason jar. They keep great like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, another great idea! We had baked potatoes the other night and it was so easy to scatter some chives over the sour cream, and so delicious.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried growin chives in my garden, may be next time, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!