Friday, August 14, 2015

Canning Rhubarb from the garden


I have never canned rhubarb before. My usual method from past years is to freeze it in 1 inch slices. then packaged into one pound (approximately 4 cups) packages. My usual (and favorite) way to cook rhubarb is to steam it into a delicious compote. But when I look into the freezer, we have a serious lacking in available space. Only one other thing to do, pull out the trusty Ball Blue Book.....

It looks like I will have ready to eat rhubarb right in the pantry.

The instructions are straightforward and adaptable to use for how much harvest or any purchased,  you might be working with. We had 3 quarts from this harvest.


Canned Rhubarb
from: Ball Blue Book















Wash, dry and slice rhubarb into 1 inch slices
Measure rhubarb, for each quart add 1/2 - 1 cup sugar
Combine and let stand 3-4 hours to juice

When ready to process:

Place filled canning kettle; covered, on stove to come to a boil.

Bring rhubarb to a boil, boil 1 - 2 minutes.

Carefully spoon into jars, divide syrup into jars evenly.

Important note: the jars will not be filled to usual 1/2 inch head space. Jars did fill completely when processed and the fruit cooked. (I was concerned when I placed the jars into the canner.....)


Seal jars with flats and rings, process 15 minutes for pints or quarts.


Let cool completely, remove rings, wipe jars clean if needed. 6 quarts of raw rhubarb produced 5 pints canned rhubarb for the pantry.

If you like what you see here, we would appreciate it if you told your friends, if not, tell us! Our goal is to share relevant information that you will enjoy and use for yourself and your family. 

Thank you for visiting such a busy backyard, as always we appreciate your time when you visit and your wonderful comments! 

this post shared with:
pink saturday @ how sweet the sound
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads
hearth and soul @ apriljharris.com
tuesday garden party @ an oregon cottage
tuesdays with a twist @ back to basics

5 comments:

  1. Melynda, I have been following your rhubarb stories for a few years now. And guess what, I have never even tasted rhubarb. What will you use this for? --Rocquie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a quick grab when I want a dish of stewed rhubarb. It is the same ingredients, just packed in jars. If it is as good as the steamed rhubarb I make, I will can it again, very convenient to have jars ready to go.

      Delete
  2. I've never canned rhubarb either -- I always cook it up and then freeze it. I trust the Ball Blue Book, so I bet your rhubarb will taste great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, maybe the shortage of freezer space will provide a new way for me to store the harvested rhubarb.

      Delete
  3. What a great tutorial on how to can fresh rhubarb - and how lovely to have rhubarb from the garden all year long! Pinned this post, Melynda. Thank you so much for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, your comments are appreciated!